I saw earlier on Smashing a list of things required to make and sell an iphone application. Here it is:
Below is a list of items you’ll need (*starred items are required, the rest are nice-to-have’s):
- join the Apple iPhone Developer Program ($99) *
- get iPhone or iPod Touch *
- get an Intel-based Mac computer with Mac OS X 10.5.5,
- prepare a Non-Disclosure Agreement (here’s a sample) *
- download and install the latest version of the iPhone SDK if you don’t already have it.
- a spiral bound notebook*
You then develop in their IDE and distribute it with their app store.
I have correspondingly made my android app checklist:
- A computer. Win, Mac, or Linux.
- The SDK (free).
You then develop with any IDE, right down to nano if you want, and can distribute as easily as putting the file anywhere on the internet.