Removing OpenOffice extensions

I was checking out some OpenOffice extensions the other day, and I found some neat ones. One of the best I saw was to get tabbed windows. I got it, as well as a few others.

Unfortunately, it is very buggy, and I do not like it at all, at least not right now. It is very bad. Possibly the worst part is that OpenOffice crashes when I go to the extension manager to remove it. I don’t want it, but can’t remove it…

I can’t even find a way to start OO without any extensions, similar to the ‘safe mode’ firefox has. Then I could remove it easily.

The only way I can find is to manually delete the extensions. To do this isn’t too hard:

  1. go to your home folder. Open .openoffice.org2. This can be done in nautilus just fine. To view hidden folders and files (those starting with ‘.’), just hit Control-h.
  2. Go into the ‘user’ folder.
  3. Delete or rename the ‘uno_packages’ folder. I renamed it, personally, so I could put it back if needed.
  4. Start OpenOffice. It will be just like new.

Simple, but it works well. Note that this assumes you installed the extensions as the local user, not for all users. I did, so that’s what I fixed here. A bit more research shows how for all users. I haven’t tested this.

For extensions installed for all users, do the same as above. However, instead of ~/.openoffice.org2/user/uno.packages, rename /usr/lib/openoffice/share/uno.packages. This should work the same. the only difference is that you need to be root to rename or delete the folder. The easiest way to get into root is to do it via command line. Navigate to the directory and do ‘sudo mv uno_packages uno_packages_no’.

If you really want to use the gui, open a terminal and run ‘sudo nautilus’. Do not do anyhting else in Nautilus as root. Very bad things will happen. Just do what you came to do, and exit it.

oo.png

Back to normal =]

Advertisements

2 Responses

  1. Thank you so much for this post! You saved my OpenOffice installation.

    I upgraded my OO3.0.0 to 3.0.1, but I also used LanguageTool 0.9.5. Unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that I should’ve uninstalled LanguageTool first before upgrading OO. I ended up with a damaged installation.

    I’ve been at this problem for hours, trying to find work arounds. But this simple renaming trick did it.

    Thank you! =)

  2. THANK YOU. similar prob as perez–couldn’t find anything on removing old plugins manually. For others out there, the Mendeley plugin crashed on upgrade, mendeley-0.0.15.oxt. Take it out this way.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: